Banish stress this December and embrace the holidays joyfully!
The holidays should be a time of relaxation. Doubtful? If stress is an annual holiday tradition for you, get ready to try a new approach this year. Don't waste away this magical season with to-do lists, financial burdens, and restless nights. Learn to enjoy the holidays with these tips.
- Get your priorities straight. If your to-do list seems never ending, something has got to go. Scratch off the events and obligations that aren't crucial for the happiness and well-being of you and your family.
- Put away those magazines. Are you taunted by the perfect holiday photo spreads in your favorite publications? Take your eyes off of those unrealistic examples. Focus on the traditions and activities that make your family happy.
- Work out a budget that works for you. Too many families dig themselves into debt every holiday season. This year, only spend what you can afford today. You'll be amazed at how lighthearted you feel as you accomplish all of your shopping.
- Don't leave your holiday shopping until the last minute. You'll relax knowing you have your entire shopping list taken care of early, and you won't have to worry about the store selling out of your child's number one holiday request.
- Don't neglect your health. Your physical and mental health are strongly linked. Exercise is your best natural stress-buster. If you start feeling overwhelmed, slip on your running shoes and go for a quick jog.
- Get enough sleep. Even the smallest problems can seem overwhelming when you're sleep deprived. You should ideally be getting seven to nine hours of sleep a night.
If a case of the holiday blues persists without relief, you may need the guidance of a professional. Look into the behavioral health departments at HCA hospitals. Call our free Consult-a-Nurse® service at 1-866-442-2362 with your questions or if you would like a physician referral.